During June, July and August, the Wallowa Valley Music Alliance presents a live music courthouse concert. This isn't just any old concert series--musicians come in from all around the Pacific Northwest and beyond to this far-away corner of Oregon. Performances range from early jazz and swing to alt-country-rock to traditional folk to award-winning contemporary songwriters performing their own music.
Who: Every week is a different group. You can view the most up-to-date listing on the Music Alliance's website. Here are the bands coming for the rest of June 2009:
June 18th: Simon Tucker Group (gut-wrenching original blues)
June 25th: Jessie Morgan (Wallowa County's own country diva)
Where: At the gazebo on the Wallowa County Courthouse grounds in Enterprise, Oregon (only 10 minutes from Joseph Oregon and 20 minutes from Wallowa Lake).
When: Every Thursday evening, June through August, 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. The nearby Farmers Market starts at 4:00 p.m.
Cost: FREE (although donations are graciously accepted and can be counted as tax-deductible contributions to the Wallowa Valley Music Alliance).
Sponsors: Wallowa Valley Music Alliance, City of Enterprise, Wallowa County Board of Commissioners, Oregon Arts Commission.
What to do:
- Reserve your room at one of four Oregon Bed & Breakfast Guild members in Wallowa County so you'll have somewhere to sleep that evening once the concert's over.
- Bring your lawn chair (and maybe a blanket--it does cool down during the evening around here).
- Start your romantic getaway Oregon style with an intimate, free, open-air concert surrounded by the beautiful Wallowa Mountains!
- A Barking Mad Farm Country B&B is a short drive out of Enterprise, or a nice bike riding distance if you bring yours along. (also Oregon lodging pet friendly)
- Alder Slope B&B is not too far from Barking Mad Farm.
- Belle Peppers B&B in Joseph is a 10-minute drive from Enterprise.
- Bronze Antler B&B is two blocks away from Belle Peppers.